Trying to draw a scene with lots of separate white elements – part speed painting, part over-complicated, over-blended muddle. This doesn’t quite work for me but I feel I’ve learned something from it. And I’ve stayed on the pet theme. I need a new theme for next week…
This one took longer than I thought it would – around 45 minutes. Just playing with colour and blending.
As I was sitting here, delicately nibbling a doughnut (stuffing my face) it hit me that I never actually came back and updated my book dummy adventures. For those of you that were following or just like to read a happy ending, I’ll do it now (as soon as I’ve finished this cake).
That was lovely.
As I mentioned in my last ‘dummy’ post, I digitally submitted it to four literary agents. I sat back and started to think about my next idea. Then I got an email from one of the four the same week -I was completely taken off guard…brilliant!
After speaking initially with Lauren I knew straight away that I was going to accept her offer of representation. The conversation was laid back, Lauren was lovely and I felt at ease to ask questions (even the stupid ones). As I’d done my research beforehand, I already knew that on a professional level, this was one of the four agencies I wanted the most. At this point I withdrew my submission from the other three (one of them sent me a lovely email about my dummy and wished me well for the future too, which was nice).
So, the update is, I was offered representation (literary and illustration) by Bright and I have to say, I’m over the moon about it.
As for the dummy itself, it needs some tweaking…but it’s looking better with each one. In between tweaks, I’ve written and started to develop another.
My portfolio at Bright is HERE where you can also see a couple of colour roughs from the dummy.
Thanks to everyone that followed my process, I hope its been helpful,
Updated to add the finished product -here it is on Amazon – Meet Pi-Rat!